The Early Morning Poet

The Early Morning Poet
Sailboat....Promise

Friday, March 26, 2010

Roses from Reuben

Last year on the day we were to celebrate Reuben's life I received a package in the mail from the national mail order rose catalog. Two rose bushes arrived that morning..ordered by Reuben months before. They were promptly planted by a brother-in-law...then groomed...weeded...mulched....and loved by me.

I bought a sign that gave more encouragement to the roses to GROW. And grow they did. This is a picture of their first growing season and now they are starting to bud again.


Roses will bloom again
just wait and see
his roses will bloom again
for his family and me!

On the day we were gathered to celebrate his life
two rose's were delivered to his family and wife
they looked withered and sad and I thought they had died
but we planted them quickly so they might survive.

These two little rose bushes
that we planted with care
They are again starting to bud
and soon a fragrance will fill the air.

There is hope in those roses that were sent from above
that we planted and weeded and tended with love
There is hope in the blossom's and the bushes we tend
It is a sign from above...the indeed hearts do mend!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Shirley, I remember you telling me about the roses when I arrived to play for Reuben's service. I was deeply touched by the fact that he had sent you roses - they will always be HIS roses and you have written it so well. You never cease to amaze me how you put words together. You do the words, I do the tunes. We could be a famous song-writing pair!
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete