The Early Morning Poet

The Early Morning Poet
Sailboat....Promise

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I think I'm engaged!!

What a fun weekend I had!! Bluegrass music...great visit with fam....yummo food...and a marriage proposal. Anyway I think it was but since I had only know this gentleman for 15 minutes when he proposed, I'm really not sure if that's what it was.

Before my husband or 45 years passed away he gave me lots of advice on being a widow. He gave me financial advice, spiritual advice, political advice...lots of advice on what to do and what not to do...like never ever hide the remote control again...but he never did tell me don't get engaged to a man I've only known for 15 minutes.

I will call my fee-aunce-say by the name of Wally to protect his identity and his three grown children. Three beautiful children I might add. Two of them he is certain I will enjoy meeting but the other one is rather difficult. He has numerous grandkids and so do I so before we get married he informed me that there would be lots of adjustments to be made on both sides. That is the one thing that can pull a couple apart is the things that they don't get settled before they tie the knot.  He is financially stable and hopes that I am also. He lives in a small town an hour's drive from me and since that is such a long commute he thinks it's wise to get most of the hurdles out of the way right off the bat.

My fee-aunce-say is a charming gentleman but I think he is rather hard of hearing. After sitting down next to me and starting the conversation with, "I hear your a widow lady" and then his next question was, "you want to get married again"? The first time I said, "No... I'm not interested in getting married again".
Soon I realized that I needed to be firm with him or go shopping for my wedding dress because he either didn't hear me or I was being ignored. Not a good thing for my fee-aunce-say to start our relationship right off the bat by ignoring me. He asked me how old I was and then told me he was soon to be eighty-four....but don't let our age difference be a stumbling block. He's pretty active!!

Well after our 15 minute conversation my new friend picked his cane up off the ground...said goodbye...and headed to his car.

I didn't even get a ring...but I met a new friend and a person can't have too many friends.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe he won't remember the proposal! Let me know when to warm up my fingers on wedding music, my friend. Loved the story of your 'engagement'!
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete