The Early Morning Poet

The Early Morning Poet
Sailboat....Promise

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Parkinson's update!!

No one I know wants to have Parkinson's disease, including me. But sooner or later life will put real challenges in front of all of us. It has been eight years since my diagnosis and I realize now that PD is not the end, but the beginning of testing my own mettle, and realizing that there are many things far crueler in this world than Parkinson's...and realizing that I just don't have time to feel sorry for myself.

Parkinson's is a battle. But it's a battle that energizes me and gives me purpose. I just started another PD clinical trial at OHSU and after just one day I was energized with a new purpose to do all I can....for as long as I can...help as much as I can...and remain as healthy as I can.

This study is conducted to determine the responsiveness of PD and the symptoms associated with it, with an intensive physical therapy exercise program. Is Parkinson's sensitive to change? This study is 70 minutes every day....four days a week for four weeks. They study my balance and gait before and then again after two intensive, supervised, exercise programs. They expect to see improvement in balance and gait performance. Then this pilot clinical trial will result in a larger trial to determine the most effective exercise for improved mobility in PD patients. I am so excited to be chosen to participate in this study. Today my physical therapist was consuled and asked if they could come and video me for a segment they are doing for public relations. I'm going to be a star...but don't worry...I won't forget my friends when I am rich and famous.  :)
view from the hill

Like everyone else I do wory about things...I worry about my future and the progression of my disease. Will my savings last long enough? Will my mental faculities be affected? I worry that someday all I'll be able to do it sit watching Oprah all day in between massages and sponge baths from Fabio, the hunky healthcare worker I keep dreaming about...so now that I think about it I guess it's not all bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment